The best time to visit Machu Picchu
The citadel of Machu Picchu is the most important attraction of the city of Cusco and that is why it is open to visitors throughout the year so you can plan your trip to the Inca wonder and at the time of year. But factors such as the weather and the prices of the services can determine the month in which you want to visit.
It can be visited throughout the year, but the best season is between April and October, “Dry season”.
However, we consider that the best time is between June and September “Tour to Machu Picchu”.
The warmest season is from November to March, but also corresponds to the “rainy season”.
We thought it would be good to have a sunny but cold day instead of a hot but rainy day. That is why they are suggested preferably between May and October.
Also between June and August is the most attractive time to visit, but at the same time it is the most active.
Temperatures: Maximum temperatures reach 27 ° C, while the minimum rarely drops below 11 ° C.
Minimum stay: Requires a minimum of 1 full day to Machu Picchu and between 5 and 7 days around and Inca Trail (3 or 4 days to 39 km.).
At the end, Cusco and Machu Picchu can be visited throughout the year, but the sun usually shines strong in the region and the nights are cold.
Below we detail how the weather conditions and the offer of services in Machu Picchu are developed according to the month.
January, February and March
- They are the rainiest months
- The temperature is relatively pleasant with an average of 14 ° C
- Spectacular green and with flora color in all its surroundings.
- Clouds and rain make Machu Picchu a fabled scenario, almost surreal.
April and May
- The rains are minimal and the days become sunnier and more pleasant
- the high season of tourism begins
- Machu Picchu se llena de turistas de todas partes del mundo
- The weather this month is sunny during the day and very cold at night
July and August
- During these months the winter of the mountain range is accentuated
- Receives a high traffic of visitors, and tourist services are very required
September and October
- Change of season, the cold of winter decreases and the temperature becomes warmer with a very pleasant climate
- The high season of tourism begins to fall, as well as the costs of various services
November and dicember
- The rains are felt with greater intensity
- Tourist services begin to have more offers