NEW CURRENCY OF S /. 1 ALUSIVE TO CENTER CEREMONIAL KUNTUR WASI
The Central Reserve Bank of Peru puts into circulation from Wednesday 5 of December, the new currency of S /. 1 alluding to Kuntur Wasi (“the house of the condor”), center ceremonial pre-Inca located in Cajamarca.
This coin, the eleventh of the Numismatic Series Wealth and Pride of Peru, is of legal tender, so it can be used in any economic transaction and will circulate simultaneously with the current ones.
The characteristics of the currency are the following:
Denomination: S /. 1.00 Alloy: Alpaca Weight: 7.32g Diameter: 25,50mm Singing: Striated Year of Mintage: 2012 Obverse: Coat of Arms Reverse: Denomination and motive alluding to KUNTUR WASI Issuance: 10 million units
On the obverse of the coin is seen in the center the Coat of Arms of Peru, in the border the legend “Central Reserve Bank of Peru”, the year of coinage and a polygon inscribed with eight sides that forms the fillet of the coin.
On the back, in the central part, one of the monoliths discovered in 1946 is distinguished, that represents a standing character with feline features. Behind the monolith is appreciated part of the temple or ceremonial center of KUNTUR WASI. The brand of the National House of Currency on a geometric design of vertical lines as well as the denomination in number and the name of the monetary unit on some lines undulating In the upper part the phrase KUNTUR WASI S. XI – III a.C.
The previous coins were those of the Tumi de Oro (Lambayeque), the Sarcophagi of Karajía (Amazonas), Estela de Raimondi (Ancash), Chullpas de Sillustani (Puno), Santa Catalina Monastery (Arequipa), Machu Picchu (Cusco), the Gran Pajatén (San Martín), the Piedra de Saywite (Apurímac) and the Fortress of Real Felipe (Callao), Templo del Sol, Vilcashuamán (Ayacucho).
Lima, December 5, 2012
KUNTUR WASI or “Casa del Cóndor” was a ceremonial center preChavin where veneration rituals were performed throughout several periods between the eleventh and third centuries a.C. It is located on the hill The Cup at 2300 masl, in the province of San Pablo de la Cajamarca region.
The most important period of this center is known as the Phase Kuntur Wasi, during which a new temple was built in the form of U with quadrangular and circular sunken squares. In this phase several monoliths were placed and the goldsmith’s work was developed more ancient of Peru and America.
The coin presents the largest monolith, discovered in 1946, which has two faces engraved. The one on the front that stands out belongs to a standing character with feline features and two types of eye: one round surrounded by a snake and the other rectangular